You’ve probably heard of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and how it influences your mental and physical health. If you haven’t, SAD most typically occurs during the seasonal change from summer, fall into winter. The days get shorter, darker, and colder and you may begin to experience bouts of depression or chronic fatigue. What you may not know, is that this condition disproportionately affects women – and the suspected cause is a female hormone called Progesterone.
The team at the Happy Hormone Cottage specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of hormonal imbalances along with a range of functional health and wellbeing services. Our goal is to help our patients achieve optimal health through hormone therapy, functional medicine, and early intervention with genetic testing.
Seasonal Affective Disorder and Its Link To Progesterone
The ratio in which SAD occurs in women is somewhere between 2:1 and 40:1 according to a range of studies. This large disparity has signaled to medical researchers that a key element of female biology must be partially leading to the development and worsening of seasonal affective disorder.
The two most likely candidates are then estrogen and progesterone, both ovarian hormones. In patients that are experiencing a hormonal imbalance, estrogen or progesterone commonly requires correction.
Changes in estrogen and progesterone can affect women’s circadian rhythm, disrupting sleep patterns, sapping your energy levels, and significantly impacting your day-to-day mood. These effects are often offset in the summer months due to more time spent outside, more regular exercise, and other stress-relieving, depression-fighting activities.
Signs and symptoms of SAD may include:
- Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
- Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Having low energy
- Having problems with sleeping
- Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty
- Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide
How Hormone Therapy Helps Fight Seasonal Affective Disorder
At The Happy Hormone Cottage, we help women rebalance their hormone profiles to help them achieve optimal hormone levels. By balancing your estrogen and progesterone levels, you can avoid the depressive symptoms and help restore more regular bodily function. We help our patients in 5 easy steps!
- Learn the importance of hormone balance and schedule a consultation
- Purchase a Precision Analytical DUTCH hormone test kit and send your kit to the Lab
- We receive your results – you meet with one of our nurse practitioners either in person or over zoom.
- Our Integrative Hormone Center and Pharmacy will compound your natural hormones.
- IHC and Pharmacy* will contact you when your prescription is ready
Hormone Therapy Available in Centerville, Ohio
If you would like to learn more about hormone therapy, reach out to the specialists at The Happy Hormone Cottage for more information. Take the first step towards a healthier, more balanced life – meet with a member of our team and start your hormone recovery journey today!
Call our offices to speak with a member of our team or schedule a consultation online today!